COVID-19 pandemic has accelerated pace of digital adoption. Just in the past few months, we have seen rapid transformation in the digital landscape. This brings a digital commerce business acceleration opportunity for merchants and store owners to exceed expectations of the new digital customers. Adobe released its latest Magento Commerce and Magento Open Source 2.4 version to help merchants accelerate their Digital Commerce business and capture new opportunities in the current evolving commerce landscape. We’ve extracted some of the key highlights like platform upgrades, security enhancements, infrastructure and performance improvements that both Magento partners and merchants were looking forward to.
The latest Magento 2.4.0 release un-boxes 98 new functionalities, 68 bug fixes, 50 security enhancements, 7 test cycles, 12 packages & extensions as well as PHP 7.4 support.The latest Magento 2.4.0 release un-boxes 98 new functionalities, 68 bug fixes, 50 security enhancements, 7 test cycles, 12 packages & extensions as well as PHP 7.4 support.
The latest Magento 2.4.0 release un-boxes 98 new functionalities, 68 bug fixes, 50 security enhancements, 7 test cycles, 12 packages & extensions as well as PHP 7.4 support.
Noteworthy features of Magento 2.4 release:
- Enhanced 2FA Security
- PHP 7.4 & MySQL 8.0 platform support
- Efficient Purchase Approval Workflows
- Seller-Assisted Shopping to enhance Customer-Centric Service
- In-Store Pickup to provide shoppers with new fulfillment options
- Improved Platform Security, Quality & Performance
- New Media Gallery Redesign
- Faster and easier PWA Development
- Improved Headless Commerce
- Streamlined Asset Management
- 30+ security fixes to plug threatening vulnerabilities like RCE (Remote Code Execution) and XSS (Cross-Site Scripting) that attackers use as gateways to inject malicious content and obtain crucial store information.
- Default 2FA for Magento Admin Panel that cannot be disabled
- 2FA (Two-factor authentication) for the Magento admin panel that supports authenticators like Google Authenticator, Duo, Authy, and U2F keys.
- The template filter mode – default enabled
- Improved Content Security Policy
- Updated tech stack components for long-term compliance and security
- Magento Security-Only Patch to fix the vulnerabilities identified in the previous quarterly release – Magento 2.3.5-p1. It also includes all hot fixes that were applied to the 2.3.5 release
- Support for PHP 7.4,PHPUnit 9.x
- Support for Elasticsearch 7.x and MySQL 8.0
- MySQL catalog search engine replaced by Elasticsearch
- Support for MariaDB 10.4
- MariaDB 10.0 and 10.1 – now not supported
- Zend Framework migrated to Laminas project
- PHP 7.4 – 7.1, 7.2, PHP Unit 9.x – 6.5 deprecated
- Signifyd fraud protection code removed
- Braintree module – removed
- Braintree integration migrated to Vendor Bundled Extension for more frequent delivery updates
- Support for Venmo, Apple Pay, and Google Pay
- Improvements in extensions developed by vendors like DotDigital, Klarna, Amazon Pay, Braintree Payments, Vertex, and Yotpo
- Several code issues and fixes for over 200 GitHub issues are now resolved
- Integration of payment gateways like Authorize.Net, eWay, CyberSource, and Worldpay – removed
- Partial word search with Elasticsearch
- Web Setup Wizard – removed
- New composer updated plugin for automation of manual upgrade steps
- Improved customer data section invalidation logic
- Improved speed of Quick Order and 30% faster add-to-cart performance
- 43% faster page loads at higher traffic volumes
- 50% faster reordering and checkout
- Optimized Redis performance for less CPU consumption
- Improved SQL queries
- Improved lazy loading for images
Efficient B2B enhancements with Order Approval Workflows
Magento 2.4 is a significant turnaround in its B2B capabilities upgradation. New purchase approval workflow functionality included in Magento 2.4 enables Purchase Managers in B2B organizations to configure approval rules for buyers based on order value, number of SKUs, shipping costs, etc.
B2B buying companies can customize approval process by using a simple form. Also included:
- Create unique approval conditions
- Email notifications to approver at various stages of the approval process for taking an action to approve, reject, or comment on a purchase order
- Complete log of actions performed on purchase orders
- Quick view of purchase orders
Seller-Assisted Shopping to deliver Customer-Centric Service
Taking digital commerce experience to the next level, the new Seller Assisted Shopping feature enables Magento merchants to enhance user engagement and deliver exceptional customer service by allowing store administrators to login as a customer from Magento Admin. It helps customer service representatives to improve buyer’s experience in several ways:
- Helping troubleshoot and resolve any part of the buying process like assisting in finding a product, set up wishlist, etc.
- Giving consumers an experience of custom functionalities
- Save time by creating orders and quotes on customer’s behalf
- Handling administrative tasks, such as adding buyers and approval rules set up
Bringing value back to physical locations with In-Store Pickup fulfilment options
Since the first quarter of this year, Adobe has tracked increase in buy online, pick-up in store (BOPIS) orders. With In-Store Pick Up functionality, merchants can easily manage which physical inventory location options are available for customers as pick up locations in Inventory Management.
During checkout process, consumers can easily find locations near them and review other important information such as store open hours.
Once the customers place orders, the store administrators can easily notify the customers when the orders are ready to pick by just one click. This advanced feature is available in both Magento Commerce and Magento Open Source versions.
Faster Performance and Streamlined Asset Management with the New Media Gallery
The new digital consumer expects quick communication from merchants. Creating a content-driven experience to generate user engagement requires updating the content frequently, which is a time-intensive exercise.
The latest version of Magento Commerce and Magento Open Source introduces improved asset management capabilities in Magento Media Gallery with an updated Adobe Stock integration that moves the workflow management into the Media Gallery thus helping in significant time and resources saving for creative designers. A completely rebuilt Media Gallery performs up to 30 times faster and strengthens integration with Adobe Stock, tightens control of access, and provides easier search and management of images.
- Creative stakeholders can directly handle the Media Gallery with the help of Access Control List permissions for uploading and handling the assets
- Easy management of images for the site with new image details that includes images used throughout the pages, categories, or products
- It allows searching and filtering of the images faster with new image attributes, tags, etc.
Headless Commerce and PWA Development made quick and easy
According to Forrester Wave, Adobe is a leader in both B2B and B2C Commerce Suite. PWA Studio lowers the cost and complexity of Progressive Web App (PWA) adoption.
With Magento 2.4.0 release, Adobe has also released the latest version of PWA Studio for Magento Commerce and Magento Open Source, which introduces new Venia storefront experiences, built using Page Builder (now supports PHP 7.4) to accelerate checkout workflow and improve customer experiences. Adobe also introduced an extensibility framework to easily customize and extend the capabilities of PWA Studio, both for custom development and Magento Marketplace apps.
- Allows launching of PWA storefronts faster, easier and in a cost-effective way to accelerate the adoption of PWA Studio
- Expand support for headless commerce
2.4x Benefits to Merchants
- Improved Inventory Management with In-Store pickup and upgraded Product Bundling feature
- Adobe Stock integration enabling searching and filtering photos in Adobe Stock gallery 30X faster
- PWA Studio 6.0.0 and 6.0.1 support
- In-Store Pickup supported in Pickup Locations query
- Users now have the ability to add all the items to a new cart from a previous cart
- Improved Web Payments as users can pay faster using existing data stored in the browser
- Improved Magento GraphQL APIs empowers merchants to build custom experiences for all digital touchpoints
- Create personalized customer journeys by using Venia UI components Adobe Experience Manager-powered storefronts
- And many more
Magento 2.4.x Release Roadmap
Release of 2.4.x versions are also being expected soon; 2.4.1 on October 15th 2020, 2.4.2 on February 9th, 2021. These updates will bring Magento 2.4 fixes (if any) and further enhancements as necessary and hence will be crucial.
Magento Commerce Team has organized a special webinar on Thursday, September 17, 2020, to learn more about this release and how they are helping merchants adapt to the current commerce landscape with Magento 2.4.
Till then, stay tuned, stay updated.
Source: Magento 2.4 Release Notes
Are you planning to upgrade your store to Magento 2.4 or need a strategic partner digital commerce to help you build a Magento store from ground up? – Talk to ecommerce experts from leading magento (Adobe) partner agency.
Category: eCommerce Solutions and DevelopersCompany about: Krish TechnoLabs is a full service digital commerce agency and leading Magento enterprise solution partner that custom builds online eCommerce stores for the ultimate success of your online business. It is based in India, USA, UK and Middle East. Krish TechnoLabs goes to great lengths to provide you the recipe that is necessary for success in the eCommerce world. We are your go-to eCommerce agency for all aspects of eCommerce – from designing to development to marketing and optimization.
For more information: